Sunday, October 21, 2007

My weekend persuits

The weather over the last three weekends here in Calgary has been absolutely fabulous. In fact, the phases of the moon must have been 'just right', because the nature of the workload over these three weekends has allowed me to spend a great deal of time on each successive Saturday hiking in the Kananaskis.

Experience has taught me that we all love a blog post full of photos, so sit back and enjoy while I take you on a pictorial journey to Rawson Lake and Lillian Lake on the Galatea trail.


Taking the trail around the south end of the Upper Kananaskis Lake leads you to a fork in the trial.


Rawson Lake is a short, but moderately challenging trek south.


The view through the trees at the south end of the Upper Kananaskis Lake


Rawson Lake - like a mirror; you can see the reflection of Mount Sarrail.


The suspension bridge on the head of the trail to Lillian Lake and the Galatea Lakes. The Galatea trail is about 10 minutes south of the Kananaskis Village turnoff on Highway 40 - south of the Transcanada Highway.


The Galatea trail is to date my favourite hike. One of the things I love is the occurrence of many bridges along the path.


It amazed me how clear the water was!






Approaching the lake, the snow became more prevalent.


Lillian Lake from the west side campsites. I've been known to swim in this lake in August, but last Saturday I would have recommended neither swimming or skating!


The trail on the way down was particularly slick.


One of my hiking partners, D., remarked on how the light hit the mountain, and I was particularly impressed with how my wee camera captured it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you wear a wig?

ok FINE, nice pics

cat59 said...

Beautiful! I can see why you would want to spend as much time as possible out there :-)

About Me

My photo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
English student, Pottery enthusiast, Yoga novice and lover of all people. I make friends over a warm handshake and a beverage. I discover, every day, someone willing to help me along my path.