Wednesday, November 29, 2006

To a poetic close...

This week is a full and rich one. Essay assignment #2 is due next week, and I have a consultation with my prof. regarding the re-write of my first essay, now due January 7. Our mid-term and final class of the semester is also scheduled for Tuesday.

Tally-ho!

To My Excellent Lucasia, on Our Friendship
Katherine Philips

I did not live until this time
Crowned my felicity,
When I could say without a crime,
I am not thine, but thee.
This carcass breathed, and walked, and slept,
So that the world believed
There was a soul the motions kept;
But they were all deceived.
For as a watch by art is wound
To motion, such was mine:
But never had Orinda found
A soul till she found thine.
Which now inspires, cures and supplies,
And guides my darkened breast:
For thou art all that I can prize,
My joy, my life, my rest.
Nor bridegroom's nor crowned conqueror's mirth
To mine compared can be:
They have but pieces of this earth,
I've all the world in thee.
Then let our flame still light and shine,
(And no bold fear control)
As innocent as our design,
Immortal as our soul.


from
The Broadview Anthology of British Literature
The Renaissance and the Early Seventeenth Century

7 comments:

Roshanthi said...

Nice poem. Good luck with the essays!

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Dave,

Interesting poem, some things are timeless.

Janice~

Sarah Elaine said...

Glad to see you are into Renaissance Literature. Does that make you a Renaissance Man?

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the essays :)

Turtle Guy said...

Thanks for all the well-wishes!

SE - Funny... my sister said the same thing when she heard I was taking English literature and a pottery course.

luna pie said...

Oooooooooh essays... so many painful memories. I do love writing - but NOT NOT NOT essays!!! I would rather stick pins in my eyeballs.

Good luck, and I hope you are on the other side of the fence and enjoy it!!!

:)

Bare said...

What a beautiful poem! Thanks so much for sharing it with us- and good luck with your assignment! :o)

About Me

My photo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
English student, Pottery enthusiast, Yoga novice and lover of all people. I make friends over a warm handshake and a beverage. I discover, every day, someone willing to help me along my path.