Saturday, December 03, 2005

Feeling rushed

Is it just the way I've set up my life - or rather allowed things to unfold - or is it the society we live in? Over the last couple days I've felt an immense amount of pressure where managing my money is concerned. Everywhere I turn there are people driven by money, controlled by money, whoes social status depends on your money. Strangely enough, at the same time it seems that it really doesn't matter whether you "own" a million or "owe" a million. It's not "how much does this cost?" anymore, it's "how much A MONTH does this cost?" I'm as guilty as the next person of living beyond my means. I have a friend who for years consistently lived a $52,000.00 lifestyle on $50,000.00 of income.

I want to share with you my story - not for sympathy's sake - but perhaps as you read this, you may have some insight, some suggestions, some words to live by.

I've run my own business for years - full time since 1993. I've had to take risk, it's an inevitable part of running a business. Over the course of time I've been fearful of risk, not fearful of risk, proceeded with reckless abandon and been quite focused. One thing remains - my expenses have still outweighed my income. I'm taking all the steps you're "supposed to" in order to clean things up, but finding it very difficult to remain positively motivated where the business is concerned. I have this "cloud" over my head.

I've heard and been to seminars that drive home the tactic "take care of yourself first so you're in good shape to take care of your business". It's hard. Harder still is containing this post to a few paragraphs...

Three more points and I will close for now.

One. A very dear friend of mine has suggested I take in two books: Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Your Money or Your Life. Perhaps this weekend will see me at the library. I'm embarking on another read as well - "Becoming Human". Check out my other blog http://turtledave.blogspot.com/ on my thoughts and ramblings as I read... that is, if you don't mind my ramblings!

Two: My life is beautiful, everything is grand - what can I tell you? I have family and friends who support me - and understand when I'm not always "in the picture". I have a beautiful, peaceful place to live. I have food to eat each day and work to do. I have a new lady in my life who is, to say the least, supportive, insightful, precious and kind.

Three, and finally: I will ask you - respected reader of my blog - for your thoughts on some tactics to keep me focused, sane and happy while I attempt to disperse the "cloud". Even if they're just other things to think about.

7 comments:

ipodmomma said...

very interesting post... we had a big debt, but managed to get out, and now try to live sanely, and instill in the kids the same kind of tactics...

it's hard, even here, consumerism is all around. not quite like the USA, but moving in that direction...

I think the thing one has to do is ask this: do I really need A, B and C? I may want them, but do I need them... a much more difficult question. stepping off that buy buy buy treadmill was hard, but now I think about how we used to live, and shake my head wondering WHAT were we thinking????

yet, it surrounds you on all sides...

was this the kind of response you were looking for?

well, that's what I know. I feel blessed because I too have a really great life... health, a comfortable home, the choice to stay at home, and all that sort of stuff... yet I know not all have what I possess...

again, a balance of being content and generous... and trying to appreciate all things, even the ones I would not normally choose for myself... they too are here for some reason or another....

have a great day!

Turtle Guy said...

Perhaps this is worth a second post - who knows - but your comment about consumerism is accurate. I've noticed a cosiderable difference in my physical well being - the stress my body is physically under as a result of having to make "the bills". I think it turns from "consumerism" - wanting, needing all that "stuff" - to "how could i have disrespected my well-being for stuff?" In my case, it was the want for a bigger, better business that cut short the financial resources for "me". The business came first for so many years and now it's time to tip the scales the other way. I was working for the business instead of the business working for me. Getting the train "stopped" and then "turned around" and then "running again" are three difficult stages. I'm in "turning around" mode and it's draining - very draining. Thanks for your comments and support - I appreciate it!

Sarah Elaine said...

A very useful thing for me has been to learn to take things one day at a time. Sometimes, when life gets overwhelming, I take things one HOUR at a time.

You do what you can do for that period of time and make a decision not to worry about the rest. It's hard to do, but lemme tell ya, there are times when it really does keep me sane!

Patience, Turtle... Remember... you're the one who's going to win the race. ;-)

Turtle Guy said...

You're full of insightful wisdom always, Sarah - thank you. I think I'll take some time to follow up on some reading. Never having been much of a "reader", it might be a bit of a delight to lose myself in some written word - one page at a time!

Winning the race... now doesn't that sound inspirationally motivating!

Granny said...

We're fixed income and payday to payday. When payday is once a month, it makes for some careful planning and choices.

Bread and roses - bread and/or roses. I just try for a balance. We have one low limit credit card for emergencies and otherwise, it's pay as we go. That may change is my 14 year old van gives it up but we're pretty much debt free.

I'm sure we could do better but to me a few "roses" are essential to keep me from turning into a drudge.

Probably much too simplistic, but it's all about choices and I'm a simplistic person.

Granny said...

That may change "if" (not is). I bet you could figure out what I meant. Checking out your other blog now.

Elliot said...

Now that you got me thinking (shame on you!), I'll let you in on four things I do to get past the money/insanity thing:

1) I only buy what I need and what I'll USE. Not because it's pretty and will make me look good. This leaves room for both necessities and toys. I spent a bunch of money on my iPod, and, by golly, it's in my ear at least 3 hours a day or, I'm snatching music on and off it. It's smokin by days end. I don't regret the purchase one bit because of that.

2) I stay sane because I have to, for myself. See, as harsh as it sounds, no one cares if I'm insane, and, in fact, I'll do nothing but make enemies if I'm insane. Life is so much more livable if you just take a breath and realize that this may be our only go-'round.

3) Eat lots of fattening foods. Maybe I'm just kidding...

4) My mother has had a business--a dress shop-- for 20 + years. It has not been incredibly successful, moneywise, but for her well-being, it has been like a Donald Trump deal. How? From what I can tell, she's become friends with her business--she runs it in a way that makes her happy. No shrewd markups, no crazed advertising, just getting in the dresses she likes, attending fashion shows, which she loves to do, and telling people to come by sometime and talk to her, which she loves to tell people. I don't know how that'll translate into how you run your business, but there's something to be said for getting up everyday and being able to sincerely grin as you turn the sign from Closed to Open.

About Me

My photo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
English student, Pottery enthusiast, Yoga novice and lover of all people. I make friends over a warm handshake and a beverage. I discover, every day, someone willing to help me along my path.