Monday, July 02, 2007

Warehousing not homelessness solution

That was the title of an article in Fast Forward this week, but it wasn't that which caught my eye. The caption under the photo read,

"[...]says he'd like to see
Calgarians in expensive three-piece
suits and Italian shoes try
dumpster-living to survive."


Initially, this statement rubbed me the wrong way. I thought to myself,

"Are you suggesting that people in suits and fancy shoes don't work hard, or don't have an appreciation for what it takes to survive?"

Maybe it would do a lot of us middle-, upper-middle- and upper-class types some good to understand truly what it is like to live on the street, but I wonder if this suit-wearing, Italian-shoed Calgarian he speaks of perhaps worked very hard to get to where he is, and in doing so has found a way to 'survive' on his own terms?

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

While in Vancouver I was impressed by just how hard some of the homeless work. They push their cart and dumpster dive and collect stuff all day. It was an eye-opener let me tell ya. Hmmm ... I really should blog that too, now that I think about it.

ipodmomma said...

something to ponder...

Sarah Elaine said...

I have heard it said that the real problem with homelessness in Calgary began when they shut down the asylum in Ponoka. There was no where for the patients to go and no one to care for them, so they went no where... and no one seemed to care.

There are many reasons people are homeless, but I suspect that very few actually want to be. Our system is no longer set up to help them and so... through the cracks they go.

About Me

My photo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
English student, Pottery enthusiast, Yoga novice and lover of all people. I make friends over a warm handshake and a beverage. I discover, every day, someone willing to help me along my path.