Sunday, August 16, 2009

Getting going

Some days, I'm sure you'd agree, it's easier than others. The last couple weeks have seen me exhausted. I want to get up early and have a "day to myself" before jumping into the stuff of the everyday.

Last Sunday I slept. Man, did I sleep! It's not every day I wake up at 1:00 in the afternoon.

This week I planned to be up early over the weekend to take in a run and just time to be on my own. There aren't many people out and about at 6:00 AM on a Saturday. 'Cept my neighbours. As I ran past, my neighbour Barb was sitting on her front step with a coffee. Soon her husband Mark came out to join us. We chatted for some time - not sure for how long - but it was 7-something by the time I made the University. I grabbed a coffee from one of the independent places in the food court that keep off-hours to capture the early-morning and weekend crowd. I sat and enjoyed my iPod tunes while planning stuff out on the electronic notepad.

Did I mention I love my iPone??

I decided that being worn out wasn't getting me any further ahead, so my approach to yesterday was to do a few things, but put the clock to it to keep an eye on the time. I set the timer in fact. I'd made a list of probably a dozen things which were broken down into personal and business objectives for the day. This may not be new to you, but I discovered how much you can get done with a list... and some focus.

I've been puttering away at building up a yoga room out of one of the upstairs bedrooms. Last week I swapped my room over to the front bedroom - the bigger of the two which had years ago been my office. The new-to-be yoga room needs some TLC - a coat of paint and a good cleaning. I spent some time at that yesterday.

I also did a couple or three things - you know those little projects that should get done "some day"? Yah, you know the ones you walk past every day saying, "Geeze that bugs me - gotta fix that!" Felt great... and know what? I wasn't exhausted at the end of the day! And with so much more accomplished, I felt better inside too.

I've got some ugly business stuff to do tomorrow, so it's been nice to recharge and at the same time get some of my surroundings settled.

Today I got up early and went for a run to the U. and back... but not quite as early as yesterday. I've been doggin' it today, and have a list half as long as yesterday. For breakfast I enjoyed some leftover crock pot stew... meant I didn't have to "make breakfast". It was great to turn on some tunes, eat and now write in the blog.

Whatever you're doing today, I hope it's as peaceful and recharging as I intend my day to be.


Looking west-ish through the campus toward the prairie chicken sculpture under which we had numerous Poetry classes in '07... including a picnic.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I have a long todo list right beside me. With any luck, I'll lose it as I have lost many others. :)

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Dave,

It feels good to get things done. Kutos to you.

Janice~

About Me

My photo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
English student, Pottery enthusiast, Yoga novice and lover of all people. I make friends over a warm handshake and a beverage. I discover, every day, someone willing to help me along my path.